I'm officially divorced now. It's...odd. There's a lot that no one ever really tells you about getting divorced. Even when it's the right thing to do, there are still mixed feelings. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel any regret over this. Not over getting divorced, but that it turned out this way. Thanks to the great state of SC making me wait a yr before I could file, I had plenty of time to think about it. It was far from a rash decision & I feel it was the best one for me, for my mental & emotional well-being. Even right down to the court date though, the process is designed to make you question what you're doing. The judge questioning me was nerve-wracking; if I got the answer wrong, would I flunk out of class? T did not show up for it. I think that's the final break of any shred of respect I may have had for him. For him to just sit back & let me go through any of the difficult points of this just speaks a lot for what our relationship was.
But, I've done it. I did & I'm stronger for it. A friend pointed out a couple wks ago that he's proud of me because I have fought for & earned everything I have in my life right now. My freedom, strength, courage, success, & happiness are all mine because I wanted them & I made it happen. He was right. I'll point out that I had great support though. And, I certainly learned who my real friends are. Many of the people I referred to as friends just a couple short yrs ago dropped me when things got rough. There are very few from the congregation I went to who will still say hello when they see me (i stopped going to meetings. i couldn't reconcile being told that i was wrong for not putting up with t's crap anymore & i can't be a part of a religion that will allow him to treat me the way he did, yet still be in good standing). I've actually had my faith & spirituality shaken right to it's very core. This has also cost me a lot financially. I've learned to cut losses & rely on my (sometimes rather strict) budgeting skills.
What I've gained, though, trumps all of that. After everything, I consider myself ahead. I'll leave you with a picture that I saw the other day. It just made sense to me. I cut the rope, now the sky's the limit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
(((((((HUGS))))))))
Can I say that it doesn't surprise me that he didn't show up? After all that you went through, basically by yourself, to try to keep the marriage together... But, man.
I'm so proud of you, Steph. You are an AMAZING woman.
You are awesome - and now it's DONE. Your friend was right - you've earned every single bit of your happiness. Enjoy it!
Post a Comment